Monday, November 5, 2007

IT'S APPLE SEASON......

Well the fall brings apples, and with apples you get apple sauce, apple butter, apple pie and apple crisp! On Saturday after I fried a few sweet peppers, I decided to start using up the 4 bushels of apples I bought upstate. I make mason size jars of apples sauce and I also fill ziploc bags with the filling for apple pies, I cut up about 6 cups of apples, add 3/4 c. of sugar, 3 T of flour, 3/4 to 1 tsp. cinnamon, mix it up, then freeze it all raw. (If you flatten out the bags, you can stack a lot in the freezer). For a quick dessert all I need to do is make or buy pie crusts, put in the filling and bake as usual and fresh apple pie all year long!! I also use the same filling for apple crisp. It's fun and very inexpensive. I get a bushel of irregulars (they are for pies and sauce), for $4.00 a bushel. That goes a long way.














It really is so simple to make. No water, just some apple juice if you like, and lots of cinnamon! If you put the applesauce in the jars right away, and turn them upside down to cool, you don't need to boil the jars, they seal on their own.
I had to add a few pictures of my peppers! They are so delicious! Add lots of salt, and eat them with some really crusty warm Italian bread. The best snack ever!!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

looks delicious Gina!!!!